Here is the winning formula to getting more followers on Twitter!
Optimize your profile page
It is the first page that new users will see when they search for you. Make sure it gives off the best impression.
- Use a clean profile picture, be it a company logo or yourself, make sure it is unobstructed.
- Make use of header photos to give users a better understanding of your company/yourself
- Profile description should explain what your account is about, what kind of tweets followers will be getting from you and give followers a taste of your personality
- Pin your best tweet at the top so that followers are motivated to follow you. Plus, a popular tweet shows that your profile is relevant among twitterers, increasing its attractiveness.
Ideally, have 3 to 7 tweets/day. It should be a mix of an original tweet from you and a retweet. Schedule your tweets wisely. Research has shown that engagement is high on weekdays, in the early and late afternoons. See best timings to post on social media blog.
Tweets containing visual content receive more likes, retweets and shares than those with just text. In fact, video content marketing is 6x more likely to be shared than a typical text-based tweet! So try to include images/videos in your tweets to entertain and attract new followers. Here is a good example of a visually appealing tweet:
Gifs and memes are good too! Here is a clever way to use them:
Hashtags are important as it helps users find your tweet easily, increasing exposure and engagement of your tweet. Data has even shown how important hashtags are: Tweets with at least one hashtag receive 12.6% more engagement than those without.
Including hashtags are easy and comes with many benefits like helping users to find your account easily. Here is an example of how you can use hashtags effectively:
Oh, one more thing. Be careful not to go overboard with the hashtags. Too many would distract users from your main text, like this:
Ideally, use 2-4 hashtags in your tweet.
Retweet and ask for them too
Retweet content that you find interesting or that complements your account. Not only does it help in making your timeline more enjoyable, it can also increase your followers and reach. When the user realises his/her tweet is retweeted by you, he would notice your account and may likely reciprocate in the future.
You can also include a CTA in your tweets – ask your existing followers to retweet your content. Don’t be shy. Asking for retweets can help to spread your tweets to more twitterers quickly. This gives your account free exposure too.
Increase engagement with your followers
5 Methods You Can Try:
1. Replying to followers’ comments on your tweet
2. Responding when users mention you in their tweet (Wendy’s does best in this)
3. Ask questions in your tweets or create a poll to stimulate interest
4. Reply to your Direct Messages, never ignore them!
5. Retweet or like followers’ tweets
These tried and tested methods make your users feel relevant and validated. Visitors of your profile will also be able to find out that you are engaging with followers frequently, increasing the likelihood of them following you. Additionally, engaging with your followers can help to extend your reach to a larger community, eg. your follower’s followers.
There are many benefits that come along with engaging your followers, so try out one of the methods now!
Promote your Twitter profile
Including your Twitter handle in ads, videos and other social media platforms like Instagram, can help to promote your profile, so that others are aware that you exist on Twitter and know where to find you.