Video is one of the most impactful ways to engage your audience on LinkedIn. Not only are video updates more likely to get clicked on and shared, but they’re also three times more likely to be liked by your followers.
Fortunately for you, LinkedIn offers several different ways for you to share your videos. This guide will take you through all the best practices for sharing videos on LinkedIn so that you never have to settle for less than a viral hit!
LinkedIn Video Specifications
LinkedIn has a specific set of video requirements that you must be aware of before uploading videos on LinkedIn.
- The video files can have a minimum of 3 seconds in length and a maximum of 10 minutes.
- 75 KB to 5 GB size is considered the best video size for LinkedIn.
- The video formats which work for LinkedIn are ASF, AVI, FLV, MPEG-1, MPEG-4, MKV, QuickTime, WebM, H264/AVC, MP4, VP8, VP9, WMV2, and WMV3.
- The resolutions can be a minimum of 256 × 144 and a maximum of 4096 x 2304.
- The aspect ratios can be 9:16 (vertical), 1:1 (portrait), and 16:9 (landscape). From these, 1:1 is and 16:9
- The frame rate is between 10 to 60 per second.
- The bit rates can be between 192 kps to 30 Mbps.
If we consider the mobile phone, LinkedIn video has three post dimensions 16:9 (landscape), 1:1 (square), and 9:16 (portrait).
LinkedIn Native Video Specs
There are specific requirements if the video uploaded on your LinkedIn profile is native. These are-
- The Linkedin video size must be under 5 GB.
- The video resolution can be between 256 x 144 pixels to 4096 X 2304 pixels.
- The length of the video can be between 3 seconds to 10 minutes.
- The file formats accepted in native videos are MP4, ASF MPEG-1, MPEG-4, MKV, H264/AVC, MP4, VP8 and VP9, WMV2, and WMV3.
- Your video can be landscape (16:9) or square (1:1), but if we post a vertical video (9:16), LinkedIn will add vertical borders to the video too. Therefore it is best to upload videos that are 4:5. If, in any case, the video is bigger or smaller, then LinkedIn will either crop it or add blurry bars around it.
- For desktops, it is best to upload videos in a 16:9 ratio. But, if you want the videos to look good on both the mobile and the desktop, then it is best if you upload the videos in a 1:1 ratio.
LinkedIn Video Ad Specs
If you want to target your content to a specific audience to get conversions and raise brand awareness, you can create video ads on LinkedIn. LinkedIn video ads appear in the user’s feed with the word “promoted” written under it. Let us take a look at what are the specifications for these LinkedIn video ads.
- These video ads can go up to 200 MB, and the file format must be MP4.
- The video ad's length can be between 3 seconds to 30 minutes long. But it is better to keep it short for more engagement. It is challenging to hold the viewer's attention for long; therefore, keeping your LinkedIn video ads between 30 seconds to 1 minute will work for you.
- The various resolutions and aspect ratios are as follows:
- Square (1:1): Min 360 x 360 pixels, Max 1920 x 1920 pixels
- Vertical (9:16): Min 360 x 640 pixels, Max 1080 x 1920 pixels
- Landscape (16:9): Min 640 x 360 pixels, Max 1920 x 1080 pixels
How to post a video on LinkedIn from Mobile
Uploading videos on LinkedIn from a mobile device is easy. Follow the steps below to know how to share videos on LinkedIn from mobile.
- Open the LinkedIn app from your mobile.
- Click on the plus (+) button.
- You can see a dropdown menu; tap on the take a video button.
- Now you can either upload or record your video.
The first option is to upload a video from the device’s gallery. You can do this by clicking on the gallery option, which is shown near the video recording button, where you can select a video.
The second option is to shoot a video using the LinkedIn app, where all you have to do is click on the video camera button.
- You can also add stickers and text to your LinkedIn video. In addition, you can rotate and resize the stickers or text by zooming and pinching on them. This is a great way to let people know about the video.
- You can also add captions and subtitles because it helps people understand what the video is all about without having to hear the audio. Captioned videos have a greater chance of being clicked on. Therefore, we recommend to add subtitles to your video.
- It is also imperative to post descriptions and add hashtags to your video. This can drive your message with more emphasis. Along with it, you can also add a call to action. Tell them to give your content a ‘thumbs up on YouTube or Facebook, add you to their social circles, and share your video with their friends.
How to post a video on LinkedIn from Desktop
Posting a video to LinkedIn from your desktop is easy. The steps for doing so are the same on mobile and desktop, except for one. The only added advantage is that on a desktop, you can add a custom thumbnail for your videos, which you can’t do on mobile. Here’s how to post a video to LinkedIn from your desktop.
- The first step in uploading a video to a personal LinkedIn profile is to go to the LinkedIn homepage.
- On your LinkedIn feed, you will find an option to upload a status, where you have many options, so click on the video.
- This will lead you to another screen where you have to click on the Select on the video icon to post videos, and this dialogue box will prompt you to post a video.
- After selecting the file you want to upload, you can add the video thumbnail and SRT(subtitle) files.
- Next, click on Select thumbnail, choose a file from your desktop, whichever you want, and then click on upload.
- Next, click on Select caption and upload the SRT file if you have the files ready.
- After this, you can add the description for the post along with the relevant hashtags, which will widen your audience reach. After confirming the report, click post to publish your video directly.
How to Embed Videos from YouTube in a LinkedIn Article
If you want to share your YouTube video content on LinkedIn as an article or are already writing articles on the platform and would like to embed videos into your article, this step-by-step guide will help:
- The first step will be to open LinkedIn on your desktop.
- Go to the share box on the post-bar and click on Write an article.
- Clicking on that will take you to your LinkedIn blog/Article page.
- Now start typing your article in the space provided.
- As you are typing you will notice a plus sign to the left of your text.
- Clicking on the plus sign and a menu will appear.
- From the menu, choose the link.
- Now you can paste any link from a platform you want, and here it is, YouTube.
- Click the enter button on your keyboard, and the video will appear along with the blog/article text.
- Or you can also paste the video link using the video button.
- Lastly, always remember to upload videos via a link, as LinkedIn does not allow you to upload videos via an external link.
Adding video to a LinkedIn status update
Adding a video to a LinkedIn status update is easy once you have started a LinkedIn post on your feed.
Follow the steps below to go ahead with this -
- Once you click on adding status, you will find a video icon at the bottom of the frame.
- This will lead you to a window to select the file from your computer.
- Choose the video of your choice and click open.
- The video will now appear, and you can take a preview by playing it.
- Once it is done, click next.
- Now add any text that you want to add and click Post.
- Once the video is ready, LinkedIn will notify you, but if it takes too long to get uploaded, try converting or compressing it and then upload it.
- The video should be between the file limit that LinkedIn allows. You can also add videos to your company’s page posts using the same method.
Read on to learn more about adding a video to your LinkedIn profile page.
Inserting a video to your LinkedIn Profile Page
LinkedIn does not let you embed video files directly on your profile page. But you can still use the Featured section to feature a link to a video. All you have to do is go to the top of your profile.
You can do this in two ways-
- You can feature a LinkedIn post that has your video in it.
- The second option is you can feature a link to a video on YouTube or Vimeo.
To go ahead with these two methods, you can simply go to the Add featured option and click on it.
You can click on posts if you want to select any of your LinkedIn statuses, or you can choose links if you want to add a video on YouTube or Vimeo.
Let us take a look at how you can feature links
Once you click on links, a window will appear, and then all you have to do is -
- Paste the URL of the video into the provided field and click on Add.
- This leads to a screen that allows you to change the title and description of your video. Once you are satisfied with it, click Save.
- An image of the video, along with the title and description, will appear now in your profile’s featured section.
- Your profile's visibility and privacy settings will determine who can see it.
But for that, you also have to make a video that is appealing to the audience, and for that, you can use our Business Video Maker. If you are short of Business video ideas, you can read our article on Business video ideas.
How to Create Engaging LinkedIn Videos without Editing Experience?
We all want to add videos to our LinkedIn Profile, but sometimes there is a learning gap when we software where it takes time.
Therefore you can use our LinkedIn Ads Maker and create engaging ads at the snap of a finger.
Read on to know the steps involved in this.
- Go to LinkedIn Ads Maker and register there.
- Once the page opens, you can find a lot of templates from the vast library.
- Select the template you like.
- If you have product images, then add them to your selected template, or you can choose anyone from Shutterstock.
- If you want to add more spice to it, you can add additional texts or effects easily.
- Add a touch of music to complete the video.
- Save your video, and you can use it to run ads on LinkedIn company pages and other social networks as well.
- In addition, you can also use OFFEO’s smart resize option, where you can adjust videos according to different platform requirements.
How to launch a LinkedIn video ad campaign?
If you want to launch a Linkedin video ad campaign, follow the steps below.
- The first step is to log in to the campaign manager to create your campaign.
- Choose the option Sponsored content.
- The next option is to name your campaign.
- After choosing the name of the campaign, then select your main objective. These can include video views, website visits, collection leads, and more.
- Select the ad type format, which will be video in this case, and then click Next.
- Click on create a new video.
- Now fill out your form, upload your video, and click Save.
- After your video has been uploaded, click on the checkbox next to the video to select it and hit Next.
- The next step is to choose your target audience criteria and click Next.
- Following this, you must set up your bid, budget, and campaign duration, and click Launch campaign.
Conclusion: How to post a video on LinkedIn
This was all about how you can add a video on LinkedIn. These video ads will help you get more ROI and conversions. So what are you waiting for? Register on OFFEO to create video ads that will make your brand shine and give you the much-needed attention you seek.